This section lists and acknowledges the various projects that inspired the Marten web framework, as well as notable contributions.
The Marten web framework implements a set of ideas and APIs that are inspired by the awesome work that was put into two particular frameworks: Django and Ruby on Rails. It can be easy to take for granted what these frameworks provide, and we should not forget to give credit where credit is due.
The Marten web framework takes a lot from Django - its biggest source of inspiration:
- The Model-Handler-Template triptych is Marten's vision of the Model-View-Template (MVT) pattern provided by Django
- The auto-generated migrations mechanism is inspired by a similar mechanism within Django
- Generic handlers are inspired by Django's generic class-based views
- The template syntax is inspired by Django's templating language
- The concept of apps and projects is inherited from Django as well
Needless to say that this is a non-exhaustive list.
Ruby on Rails
The Marten web framework is also inspired by Ruby on Rails in some aspects. Among those we can mention:
- The exception page displayed while in debug mode is inspired by the Exception Page shard
- The way to handle custom objects in Marten templates is inspired by a similar mechanism within Crinja
- The idea of class-based email definitions is borrowed from Carbon
Thanks to all the contributors of the project!